Thursday, May 15, 2014

Movie Review - "Pina" 12/23/2011

Another movie review by Gracie Mae DeLunac (aka Margem).  This time, the movie is "Pina" released on December 23, 2011.


Trailer:





Criteria:
0/5 – No value whatsoever. Absolute waste of time.
1/5 – Barely worth any time.
2/5 – Pathetic but has a bit of something to hold the attention a little.
3/5 – Somewhat kept the attention but could definitely have used more.
4/5 – Good, but not awe-strikingly amazing. Could have maybe used a bit more to the movie.
5/5 – Go see it! Wonderful movie all around – characters, music, theme, storyline, etc.



This was a documentary movie about dancing and about a dance choreographer (Pina Bausch).

Okay, it took me five individual viewings (piece by piece) to get me through this video.  It was nice to see some dancing and to see that people can bend in ways that I cannot, but I had a major difficult time trying to watch this movie.  I fell asleep at least once watching it, to tell the truth.
Mind you, I am not a documentary film enthusiast, but I try to keep an open mind for what I'm watching.

Entertainment wise, I was having an issue trying to understand why the choreographer would have made her dancers dance in such a way.  Are you trying to portray love, anguish, freedom, or just "I can dance"?  I was lost on the emotions.

I think it is great that people can use dance to express themselves but this did not tell me anything, personally.

Interesting to watch the dances, especially the dancing with water one, though there was nothing conveyed to me.



Rating:
1/5 – Barely worth any time.
Nothing conveyed as to why the dancers would dance as such or who Pina Bausch was.  For those that like watching dances and for those who like watching documentaries.


No comments:

Post a Comment