Sunday, April 24, 2016

FictFri Flash Fiction 4/22 - "Grow"

My life started out when my father and mother pollinated. Of course, my father wasn't even in my mother's patch so I never got to know him. I was ready to grow next to my mother but a gust of wind brushed by and carried me away. I was never to see my mother again, for her short life was ending soon.
I flew for centuries, or so it seemed to this little seed. Miles away from my mother, I fell to the ground. The impact knocked me out. When I came to, I found myself underground. I heard dull voices nearby. The voices were unlike my mother's voice but they were life nonetheless.
One voice next to me whispered something, "Grow."
I was afraid of the risk of growing, because I didn't know if I wanted to become a flower like my mother. The soil around me supported me. Why would I want to leave the ground?
The liquid came from above and soaked me. I felt cold and realized that there was warmth above. If I grew, I could meet this warmth. Faced with the choice of staying in the cold ground or growing to the warmth, I figured it would be best to at least try to grow.
Soon I approached the surface of the ground, a tender green sprout. I fought with all of my strength to dig through the soil around me. I wanted out. I wanted to stand above the ground, to show the world what I had to offer.
The light blinded me when I broke through the soil but it felt wonderful. The warmth that I had been searching for was given to me and it was exhilarating. I stretched in the sunlight, reaching my leaves towards the sky, and felt a wave of joy bubble up through me. When it finally reached my top, it opened me to a new level of existence as a flower appeared on top of me. The beautiful yellow petals spread above me as a declaration to the world that I had survived so many trials and had earned the honor of blooming. Though my life would be short, just like those like me and those around me, I knew that I could hold my head high and enjoy the sun while I was still alive. I was a daisy and was glad that I had taken the risk of growing.
I saw some seeds fall near me and I told them, waving my green leaves in the air, a good bit of advice I had received, "Grow."


-----
~yume

No comments:

Post a Comment